7/31/09

My new exercise routine



Our riding mower has given up the ghost. My husband broke the news to me last week and informed me that he could get a used mower for about $150.

At first I thought we should go for it. The $150 price tag wasn't very appealing as we're trying to get rid of our debt. Then, I remembered that I need to exercise. I remembered that I hate to do "purposeless" exercise (aside from the purpose of losing the weight, that is). I also realized that we have only about 3 months left of the grass growing season. So, I asked him to hold off on purchasing the riding mower and (gulp) volunteered to do the mowing with our gas push mower myself.

Our lot is 3/4 of an acre. That doesn't seem very large until you've personally walked every inch of it while pushing a heavy machine. I divided the yard into sections and mow for about 30 minutes each day.

So far I am loving this new routine. I don't dress like the lady in the ad, though. Perhaps I should. If mowing the lawn helps with the weight loss, then I just might!

4 comments:

Packrat said...

Yes, I know how big your lawn is as ours is roughly the same. We do not have a riding lawn mower, (but sometimes cheat and borrow one). I guess I need to start pushing that heavy old clunker we have. Oh, please don't wear a dress to mow in. Besides chafing (ouch) it would make the rest of us look really bad. LOL

Roxanne said...

Packrat--Come. Mow with me. As we conquer our respective 3/4 acres, we will BOTH be worthy of wearing the dress.

Of course, I haven't considered the chafing. I wonder if I'd have to wear a girdle?

Jitterbug said...

Eeesh, chafing sucks. I can't wait to get to a point where can wear a skirt or dress and walk without having to worry about that. That Atco must have been super heavy!

Roxanne said...

Jitterbug--I LOVE to wear dresses. Well, I USED to love to. That chafing issue is totally the pits. I, too, will be happy when that no longer occurs.

As I get more fit I might even try the manual push mower. Wait, 3/4 acre? Perhaps not.