7/4/09

A sad milestone

Well, it finally happened. Something I have been sort of apprehensively waiting on for years.

I had to have my wedding rings cut off tonight.

I haven't been able to get them off my finger for probably 10 years. They still moved around, so I didn't do anything about it, but, always in the back of my mind, I wondered if that ring cutting scenario would eventually play out.

The reason it had to be done tonight was not because I've gained MORE weight. I am still at 0 gained or lost. What happened was another stupid mosquito. It bit me on my ring finger and I promptly began to swell. (I'm very allergic.)

I took Benedryl. I iced it. I elevated it. I tried using lotion, oil, and Windex (yes, that was recommended, too), dental floss, tape, and plastic wrap...but to no avail.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it's time to really get serious about this weight loss. I may have finally gotten to the final straw. Yes, I think I finally have.

I have used all of the recipes I'm going to use that are listed in my guide book, so I won't post my menus for the week anymore. I will just post about my progress as I continue to cook in a vintage calorie-counting way.

In the next several days I plan to organize the recipes so that they can be found quickly if anyone is interested.

My whole hand is swollen (makes it interesting to type!), so I'm off for another dose of medicine and bedtime. Our neighbors have their own fireworks show on the 4th, so I'll just watch from my bedroom window and let the medicine do its stuff.

Sadly.

3 comments:

A said...

Terribly sorry. That sounds like a nightmare! You poor thing! I hope the swelling subsides soon and I'm sure your ring will be good as new soon. Hope you had a Happy 4th!

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I had to have my wedding and engagement rings sized up a bit since my wedding (almost 13 years ago). I didn't like it one bit but I am so happy that I can wear my rings comfortably now. When I lose the weight, I will get them sized down.

Roxanne said...

My hand is still swollen (it usually takes DAYS for it to go down, even with the medicine).

All day today I unconsciously "fiddled" with my rings. I didn't realize how much I did until now, when they're no longer there. 24 years of being there.

Since we had to cut them off, I don't know how they will be repaired. I wonder if they'll have to melt them down and do a whole new setting?

Either way, this really is my "final straw." I'm done with half-hearted dieting. (Said with FIERCE determination!)