3/27/09

Grocery shopping

I made my shopping list and went to the store. I spent MORE than I have spent in months: $90.23. The majority of the food is fresh produce.

For the menus listed, here was my grocery list:
  • cottage cheese
  • green beans
  • Brussels sprouts
  • chopped spinach
  • salmon fillet
  • milk
  • orange juice
  • Swiss cheese
  • butter
  • chicken franks
  • angel food cake
  • pudding mix
  • orange jello mix
  • Kellogg's bran/wheat flakes
  • burgundy wine
  • pumpernickel bread
  • wheat bread
  • grapefruit
  • asparagus
  • English muffins
  • Parmesan cheese
  • celery
  • cantaloupe
  • mushrooms
  • cabbage
  • canned apricot
  • oranges
  • grapes
  • onions
  • tomatoes
  • strawberries
  • bananas
  • cucumbers
  • lemons
  • lettuce
  • garlic
  • tomato juice
  • orange juice

Several of the things will be used for more than one week. We normally spend between $15 and $40 eating out after church on Sunday, so we will be avoiding that cost.

I also already had a few things like corn, roast beef, chicken, ground turkey (instead of beef), and eggs.

2 comments:

Mrs G said...

I just popped over from you other blog. What a great idea! I had to comment on your shopping list. You got all that, including fresh strawberries, tomatoes and other out of season fruit, for $90!! I'm amazed!

You said that it's women who shop, plan and cook meals. Not in my house. My DH does most of the shopping, and he gets home before me and he cooks dinner. He cooks and I do the dishes. The times I do cook, I also do the dishes, and since we both work full time, I'll stick with the deal where we share the tasks!

I wish you lots of luck with this vintage slimming adventure. I'm not sure I can follow along with you, but I'll certainly follow how you are making out with this.

Good luck!

Roxanne said...

Now I'm worried I didn't add up my numbers right! I'll check the receipt again and update if needed.

My dad did all the grocery shopping when I was growing up. So did my husband's dad. We were kids in the 60s and 70s. That was probably unusual back then.

When I was working outside the home full-time, my husband and I shared the chores. Once I stayed home full-time, I took on all the inside chores. At that point, I had to learn to cook LOL!

Any encouragement as I attempt this "adventure" will be much appreciated.