3/29/09

Monday's Menu

My first day is tomorrow morning. I'm excited and apprehensive. Will it work? Is allowing others to see this blog going to help hold me accountable? Should I give a disclaimer right now in case I fail?

Nope. I'll just jump in.

The menus (slimming, mind you) that I am following have the title of "Lifesaver Diet--Mr. and Mrs." At the beginning of the chapter, the readers are reminded that "Good nutrition is basically the same for all, the main difference is in the size of the servings and the added trimmings." Therefore, I don't have to cook something different for myself. That alone is a relief! I also get to have some of everything rather than having whole food groups be off limits.

Toward the end of the chapter, there is an admonition for the wives: "The success of this slimming venture is largely up to you, for you prepare the meals." This is still mostly true today. Whether one is single, married, with or without children, with or without an outside job, the woman generally is the one who prepares (or at least plans and shops for) the meals. It's up to us!


Monday's breakfast is easy, and quick. I've set the table with a cloth and my pink swirl depression (copy) plates. I put out the OJ and pot for coffee to take a picture, but they'll go back in the frig until morning. I know it's really a teapot. It will do for now. I also noticed I forgot the napkins. They will be small and white.



In the book, "Mr." gets more food than I do since he's male and muscular. Son (who is 7) will get the same amount of food as "Mr." For breakfast, Mr. gets TWO slices of bread and jam.


Luncheon (NOT just plain "lunch") calls for a bouillon cup of the tomato soup. I looked up "bouillon cup" and discovered that it holds about 8 oz. Some have two handles and some have none like the one pictured at left. My small bowls will do the job nicely. Mr. gets a 100 calorie serving of fruit (fresh, canned or frozen). The fruit choice is strawberries.

The "Pickup" is the late afternoon or evening snack. It seems to be mostly a shot of protein with a little high quality fat.


Dinner (not supper), was originally supposed to be a lamb chop and liver. I refuse to eat either of those. If you are so inclined and want to be accurate, it's 1 lamb chop and 1 1/2 oz. slice of the liver, lightly floured and pan fried. Knock yourself out.

I, on the other hand, am a highly picky eater. It is an annoying thing to be a picky eater. I recommend against it. I substituted a pork chop and will take a desiccated liver pill. There. The menu also calls for a baked potato (Mr. gets a whole medium potato, Mrs. gets 1/2), a tossed green salad with Zippy Salad Dressing, Green Beans with Mushrooms and Parmesan Cheese, and, for dessert, Apricot Whip. I will give the recipes in a separate post and link them here.

The dessert called for a can of apricots. I found fresh apricots. I had almost decided I was going to have to stew the fresh apricots when I finally found a small can way up on the top shelf. Apparently apricots are not as popular (at least in canned form) as they were in 1958.

Total calories:

Mrs.--about 1066
Mr.--about 1301

I can already see that Mr.'s caloric intake will probably need to be increased. He works at a physically challenging job. I'll determine what to do after dinner tomorrow when he's had a chance to determine his needs.

All of the breakfast and dinner menus call for black coffee. I don't drink black coffee. Mr. drinks coffee, so I'll prepare it for him.

Regarding water: "Drink all the water you wish between meals. Sipping ice water with the meals washes off taste buds and restimulates appetite." I'll do my best to follow this, but I find it difficult to eat without something to wash down the food. I'll see how I do. I guess black coffee doesn't wash off the taste buds???

No comments: