4/17/09

Gourmet Meals--Friday Menu

I lied. One more day of the roast for me. We're supposed to have flounder for dinner. No flounder in our store, so I opted for shrimp. Shh. Don't tell Ida Jean and Mildred.

Breakfast: Again with the "chilled." They assumed I could find tangerine juice. I could not. I had OJ again. But I made sure it was chilled. The fried eggs were MUCH nicer than I normally do. I've discovered that I keep thinking high heat = fast cooking. It just equals burned food. Must be the years of microwave use that I've had.

(Speaking of microwave ovens, I no longer have one. In fact, I have done without for over five years. I never missed it. Sure, I had to sometimes stand in front of the stove and think through HOW I was going to cook or reheat something, but that didn't take too long. I have a toaster oven that is great for reheating. Everything tastes better compared to the microwave. I've read that people complained about the taste of food when the transition was made from wood stoves to gas stoves and then again from gas stoves to electric. I've also read that microwaves are not necessarily evil nor necessarily that good for us. It seems that the molecular structure of the food just may be altered because of the microwaves. That didn't sound like a good thing, so I chucked the microwave and haven't looked back.)

Fried Egg--Slimming Style

1 med. egg
1/2 tsp. butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Use a small, heavy iron skillet; heat the butter; be sure that bottom of skillet is coated with the fat. Add egg and cook over low heat until of the desired degree of doneness, from 3 to 4 minutes. Cover the skillet so that egg will cook on top without additional fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or with seasoned salt.

Luncheon: Mushroom soup? Meh. There was no recipe in the book, so I looked up one. I apparently looked up the wrong one. I won't bother to post it.

I used chicken instead of tuna in the Tuna Fish Salad and it was GOOD. I love the grapes in it. That Cooked Salad Dressing is some awesome stuff. I couldn't find Ry-Krisp so I just used the Melba toast.

Pickup: This did not satisfy like the 4 oz. of whole milk or the toast with butter. I really believe a little fat makes the cravings calm down.

Dinner: Ah. The rice pilaff. (The book had two "F's.") What a disappointment. Not the flavor--the flavor was really good. Trying to cook this in the oven just didn't cut it. The recipe said 25 minutes. The liquid was no where near absorbed. I tried it for another 10 minutes and then took it out to set. Though almost done, there was a slight "crunch" to it. Next time I will use the recipe but cook it on the stove. The cloves? Honestly? I couldn't tell there were any cloves in it. Next time I will finely chop the onions into the rice. I might just nix the cloves.

(ETA: Oops. I just realized WHY the rice was crunchy. Brown rice takes LONGER to cook than white rice. Well, duh.)

I did NOT want to have the Tomato Aspic again. Yuck. I opted for another recipe in the book called "Stuffed Tomato Salad." I had run out of the cooked salad dressing, so I (gasp) used 2 tbsp. of mayo. The salad was very tasty.

For the Fruit-Nectar Fruit Cup, I substituted peach juice for the nectar. The peach juice was not the syrup, which probably would have been closer to the nectar. It was still good, though. No Malaga grapes in my supermarket. I looked them up HERE. I decided to go with green grapes.

Rice Pilaff

1 cup rice (I used brown rice)
1 tbsp. oil
1-10 1/2 oz. can of beef consomme
2/3 cup water
1 sm. onion (for seasoning)
3 cloves
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375. In skillet, brown rice in the oil. Dilute consomme with the water; heat to boiling point. Stick cloves in peeled onion. Combine browned rice, hot consomme, onion, and salt in casserole. Cover tightly. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove onion. Serve hot. May be pressed into a mold.

Stuffed Tomato Salad (1 serving)

1 small tomato
Stuffing:
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup shredded cabbage
2 small radishes, sliced
1 tbsp. Cooked Salad Dressing
Lettuce
Parsley garnish

Mix the vegetables for the stuffing with the Cooked Salad Dressing. Peel tomato and quarter, cutting not quite through. Arrange on lettuce leaves; push the quarters apart and fill with the stuffing. Garnish with parsley sprigs.


Fruit Nectar Fruit Cup (6 servings)

1 cup Malaga grapes (pic at right)
2 bananas, sliced
24 medium canned pineapple chunks
1 cup apricot nectar, canned


Set out 6 serving cups. Seed and halve the grapes; put a portion in each cup. Slice one third banana into each cup. Add 4 medium pineapple chunks to each cup. Pour the apricot nectar over the fruit. Refrigerate fruit cups until serving time.

No comments: