4/17/09

Gourmet Meals--Thursday Menu

I decided to stretch that roast, baby! It sliced up beautifully. What's left over I will freeze. I'll do that right away as now I'm tired of the roast.

Breakfast: I, for the first time in my life, tried one of those giant wheat biscuits. Must say, it was good! One of my favorite cereals is Frosted Mini Wheats. Of course, each one of those mini-bites has a thick layer of sprayed sugar on it. I tried the giant biscuit without the sugar and it was fine. The tsp. of sugar I added actually was too much. Imagine that?

Luncheon: The open-faced sandwich was pretty good. A little dry. For my husband I added the horseradish sauce and a second slice of bread. The Russian Dressing (scroll down) was good.

Pickup: I noticed that for the Slimming Menus and the Budget Fare Menus I served orange juice. But for the Gourmet Menus there was a change: Chilled Orange Juice. I felt pampered.

Dinner: I used the sauce in the recipe for the veal chops to top the sliced roast beef. Quite good, actually!

Spiced Veal Chops (Serving: 1 chop)

6-1/4" thick chops (approx. 3 lb. raw wt.)
1 clove garlic, cut
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. seasoned salt
Pinch crushed herbs (sage, thyme, basil
1 tbps. oil
1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 lemon, sliced

Rub surface of chops with cut garlic clove. Mix flour, seasoned salt, and just a pinch of desired herbs, crushed. Sprinkle chops on both sides with the mixture. Heat oil in skillet; brown chops slowly on both sides; watch carefully that they do not burn. Add hot water and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer chops, covered, until tender--about 1 hours. (Since my meat was already cooked, I just simmered until heated through. I did brown the meat a little as suggested for more flavor.) Serve chops with lemon slices.

Did I mention I'm glad to be back on track?

No comments: