4/11/09

My relationship with convenience stores.

It's Saturday morning. I couldn't resist. I stepped on the scale to see how things were going . It seems that I'm down ANOTHER two pounds!

That's exciting, but I am aware that Easter is tomorrow. I won't be following the diet. Instead I'll be eating things like scalloped potatoes with cream sauce, sweet tea, salad with fattening dressing, birthday cake and ice cream! Then, I have to weigh and measure on Monday morning.

I will try to counteract those effects by not getting the large portions I usually plop on my plate. I'm also going to do an extra day of exercising today. We shall see.

This week I had a bit of an epiphany about my relationship with convenience stores. I might be the only one who has this experience, so I'll treat it as a confession!

We live half an hour from the places we go to most. Right around the corner from my house is a McD's and many convenience stores. The convenience stores have desserts, coffee (flavored!), fountain drinks, chips--all my favorite (non) food groups.


When I get into the car to run errands, my cupholder is empty, begging for a nice cool or warm drink, depending on the season. It's like a buddy traveling with me.

The convenience store is not only convenient. It's comforting. It's offerings are like companions for the road trip. The convenience store and fast food places stock me up for my travel "experience."

My husband and I used to travel from college (in MA) home to Florida during breaks. That's a LONG trip. The convenience stores even then offered quick stops for cheap refreshments. Good memories are attached to the (non) food items.

Comfort. Companionship. Experience. Refreshment. Memories. Oh, and convenience.

These past two weeks of following this 1958 diet has "deprived" me of my friends. I pass many of those friends as I run my errands and go to my appointments. The first week I looked at them longingly. The beginning of this week I began to be aware of their flaws. Today I see them for who they really are. They're not friends at all.

They are saboteurs!

I need new friends. I will now ponder how I will go about replacing these false friends with new, faithful friends.

2 comments:

Dr. Julie-Ann said...

GREAT insight!!

No, they are not your friends. They are your enablers that prevent you from achieving your goals.

I'm proud of you for trying out new food/(friends). It isn't easy but our eating habits and tastes are all learned habits. We have the power to change those habits.

Roxanne said...

I am definitely finding that I don't have to feel deprived on this diet. On other diets the siren song of the convenience store was horrendous.

I've discovered, among other things, that I really LIKE stewed tomatoes! Who knew.