4/2/09

Thursday Recipes

I am SO proud of myself! My husband has to leave at 6:30 on Thursday mornings. Normally he just grabs some cereal and coffee and dashes out the door.

Not THIS morning! The Breakfast menu called for Shirred Eggs. (Note: I love that name. I have to say it three times every time I think about it. Shirred, shirred, shirred. There.) What was I talking about? Oh, yes. How my husband was able to have a cooked breakfast on an early morning.

Last night I got out my little individual serving size baking dish. I prepared the shirred eggs (shirred, shirred, shirred), covered the dish, and put it in the frig. This morning I put it into the toaster oven adding two sausage links and a piece of bread at the appropriate times. I also prepped the grapefruit the night before. Hot and complete breakfast, is what it was!!

Mr. was supposed to have a slice of Canadian Bacon. I forgot to buy some. Instead he received the small sausage links. For the sake of authenticity, however, I must share with the measurements (yes, they gave measurements) of the slice of Canadian Bacon. Make sure it is 4 x 3 1/4 x 1/8 inches. No bigger, no smaller.

Shirred Eggs

1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. butter
Paprika

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly butter a shallow individual baking dish. Place the milk in the bottom of the dish; break the egg into it. (Some prefer to pour the milk over the egg.) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Dot with the butter. Bake, uncovered, until egg is set, from 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with sprinkle of paprika.

Luncheon: There wasn't a recipe for this cole slaw. I doubted that it should be the way I would normally make it. (A little cabbage with my mayonnaise.) I decided to just have it raw with a little salt and pepper. Not a good decision. Cabbage is spicy--did you know that? Mr. was allowed ice cream. Can you believe it? Well, my Mr. didn't get any ice cream. If I had bought some, he would have gotten a serving and I would have finished off the box. Instead, he took the extra serving of custard with him. He was happy.

Dinner: I have been waiting all week for this one. I laughed openly when I read that I was to make BBQ Frankfurter Kabobs. For the uninformed, frankfurters are....hot dogs. Wait 'til you see the recipe. I'll report on the results tomorrow.

BBQ Frankfurter Kabobs: (4 servings)

4 frankfurters, quartered (each 5 1/2" long)
4 medium onions, sliced 2 " diameter
2 medium tomatoes, quartered (2 x 2 1/2")
8 Mushrooms, large, whole
BBQ sauce:
1 1/2 tsp. butter
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, shopped (1 1/2" diameter)
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 drop Tabasco (and don't you dare let TWO drops come out)
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash pepper

Preheat oven 10 minutes at 350. To make BBQ sauce: Melt butter in a small skillet; cook the green pepper and onion about 3 minutes; add chili sauce and seasonings. Simmer about 8 minutes. Put frankfurters in hot water for a moment or two; drain; dry. Prepare kabobs by arranging alternately on 4 skewers, pieces of the quartered frankfurters, onion slices, tomato wedges, and mushrooms. Broil under medium heat until lightly browned, turning meanwhile. Spread with half the sauce; broil 5 minutes; turn; spread with the rest of the sauce; broil 5 minutes longer. To catch the drippings place a pan beneath the skewers or line the broiling pan with foil.

Celery Stuffed with Cottage Cheese (2 servings)

4 medium celery stalks
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Paprika garnish

Have celery stalks crisp and dry. If small inner stalks are used, do not remove leaves. Mix chopped parsley with cottage cheese; fill the celery-stalk grooves with the cheese; chill well. At serving time sprinkle cheese with paprika. Serve whole, or cut stalks into 2" to 3" pieces.

Variations: Substitute one of the following for the chopped parsley; revise calorie count according to ingredients used. (Parentheses show calories.)
  • 1 T chopped chives (4)
  • 1 T minced green pepper (3)
  • 1 large chopped, stuffed olive (8)
  • 1 T chopped sweet pickle (14)
  • 2 small chopped radishes (2)

Melon-Ball Fruit Salad:

The book called for cantaloupe, honey dew, and blueberries. After I got to the grocery store and gagged on the prices of the honey dew and blueberries, I compromised and got strawberries and grapes.

I promise to make the cantaloupe into balls for authenticity's sake.

No comments: