5/6/09

Week Six: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Menus

Monday and Tuesday of this week have been odd. I was very excited to see two more pounds gone and was ready to continue my slimming ways. At the same time, I hadn't had a chance to plan my menus and we were coming off of a Yard Sale weekend. I had also planned to celebrate Cinco de Mayo as a finish to our homeschooling unit study about Mexico. (Notice how I did that. Pretty smart, eh?)

Anyway, Monday was essentially leftovers. Since we had it during the weekend, twice on Monday and one more time for good measure on Tuesday, you will probably notice a LONG stretch of time before it shows up on the menu again!

Tuesday was CINCO de MAYO, baby! I could eat Mexican Food for days on end and not get tired of it. So, for the enjoyment of your tastebuds, here's the menu:

Enchiladas
Tacos
Pico de Gallo
Chunky Guacamole (we kept the pieces chunked instead of pureeing. Oh, my, YUM!)
Elote Catijo (This was new to me. It is addicting. Proceed with caution. My version is below.)
Virgin Margaritas (Sadly, I broke my blender in all the ice-crushing excitement.)
Tres Leches cake (MOIST, so very moist. My new favorite birthday cake.)

I figured most of the dishes were familiar, so I linked only the two. If you'd like recipes for the other dishes, just let me know.

Elote Catijo

1 bag frozen corn (NOT on the cob)
6 tbsp. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. butter, melted
5 tsp. lime juice
6 tbsp. Parmesan cheese (Closest equivalent for cotijo cheese.)
1 tsp. chili powder

(This recipe is served at street vendors in Mexican neighborhoods. Sometimes they roast corn on the cob, sometimes they used de-cobbed corn and serve in styrofoam cups. I chose the off-the-cob form as we were serving it to our kids. I'm all for less mess. If you'd like to use the cob, roast it and brush on the sauce and sprinkle on the spicy cheese.)

Heat corn through. Mix the mayo, butter, and lime juice. Set aside. Mix the grated Parmesan (ground up) and the chili powder. TRIPLE (or more) the amount if you like spicy. This was very mild. Set aside. Layer the corn, the sauce, and the spicy cheese in a dish.

(The first taste is quite nice. The second is rather tasty. The third starts producing noises of bliss in the back of your throat. After that you are apt to begin speaking Spanish.)

Ole!

No comments: