7/11/09

Vintage Cookbook Bonanza!

I wanted to share my recent finds. A couple of weeks ago I came across these two. The Prince Golden Macaroni Recipes" is from 1951. The recipes actually look really good. I mean, what can go wrong with pasta. But wait, page 19 has a recipe for Liver Macaroni Platter. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just won't be served at MY house!

The one on the write is around the same date judging by the pictures. I son and I perused it and he is all ready to make some recipes from it. They all will work with my vintage diet since it's all about portion control and calories.



Besides, who can resist a salad that looks like this?




The directions certainly look easy enough!




Today I came across these. Top left is from 1955 (and smells like moth balls). It is pretty thorough and looks like I should glean lots of new menus from it. The top middle is from 1959 and is equally full of information. Top right is from 1966. I got it because it's summer and I wanted more salad recipes!




The bottom right is a parody full of insults. I did NOT like the snotty attitude copped by the author. What does he know, anyway? I really enjoyed the pictures and even found one from a book my mother had/has. If she still has it I'm going to see if I can talk her out of it. It's a Jello recipe book, and, well, I need more jello recipes. My recommendation is to ignore this rude book that doesn't understand the fun and simplicity of 1950s and 1960s cooking. Phooey on him!

The one on the bottom left is a new book. It is a VERY fun read as it's all about the Easy Bake Oven. I will be doing a separate post about that, but was curious if any of YOU had one when you were little. I had the original turquoise one. I left it outside in the rain.

If you DID have one, what version was it? The original turquoise? The early 60s yellow? The mod with flowers version? How about the Avocado Green? I read that they continued to make them except they became microwave oven look-a-likes. Did anyone have that upgrade?

Dig deep into your little girl cooking experience and share!


2 comments:

A said...

Great finds!

Roxanne said...

Amanda--I was excited about coming across them. They are so much fun to read!