4/14/09

I miss being on my diet.


Did you see that? Did you see the title of my post? I am astounded by what I just wrote. The truth is that I really DO miss my diet!

With Easter and birthday foods coming and going and staying up until 2:30 last night to finish up the taxes, I have not done my diet for five days. I am ready to jump back into it.

I've risen to the challenge of cooking three meals a day. I've enjoyed trying "vintage" menus. I've also appreciated that each meal is planned to be balanced and low calorie. That means I don't have to do any figuring. I also love that there is dessert practically every night.

I realized something. I never "make" dessert. I "buy" dessert. I buy ice cream, cookies, candy, chocolate, etc. It is usually eaten in the evening in front of the TV before bed. Now we've had it at the table following our meal. It's treated as a special thing. My time and effort is involved and it has more meaning, if you will, than just ripping open the bag of Keeblers.

This week is the "Gourmet" menus. I've missed out on Monday and Tuesday, though, so I'm going to jump in on Wednesday.

After I finish this week I'm planning on doing a fourth week in which I pick and choose the 7 menus I liked the best. I'll see what I do after that.

This is from the introduction to the "Gourmet" section. I have to agree:


"When slimming meals are delicious there is no temptation to fall off the diet. These gourmet meals, cooked according to calorie-counted recipes, make eating for weight control a positive pleasure."

2 comments:

50sgal said...

I may be on board with your vintage diet soon, one of my very kind readers is sending me a 1955 diet book she has, which I really appreciate. I am going to try and use it. I am not sure if it will be meals I can prepare for both hubby and I or if I will have to make two meals, not sure? Good luck and congrats!

Roxanne said...

That's so exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing your recipes, too.

I've been preparing the same foods for my husband and child and they've been thrilled. I usually give extra servings to them both since one is growing and the other has a high metabolism and works a physically challenging job. They both seem to be satisfied.

I really like that I don't have to prepare yucky stuff for me and yummy stuff for them and then watch them eat it and feel sorry for myself LOL!