8/20/09

Success!

I've been mowing my little heart out for about 30 minutes each day, four-five days a week. I've also been getting back to the 1955 cookbook...and...

I've lost 3 pounds! I haven't measured yet, but I will post that when I do.

Last night's supper was not anywhere as good as I hoped it would be. I am not a fan of sauerkraut, but my husband is. (That man will eat anything.) I thought this recipe would provide a relief from the tartness of plain sauerkraut. Instead, it provided about 8 different flavors all at once, independently vying for primo taste sensation. It was different! The creamed new potatoes were nice and the dessert certainly was easy. Overall it was nice. I probably won't do the sauerkraut again, though!

Menu:

Tomato Sauerkraut with wieners
Creamed New Potatoes
Radishes
Celery
Rye bread
Hurry-Up Apple "Pie"

About 45 minutes before dinner: Start heating oven. Prepare apple "pie"; put in oven to bake.
Dice cooked or canned potatoes (I used frozen hash browns); spread in baking dish. make thin white sauce (1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp. flour, 1 cup milk, s & p); add some grated cheese; pour over potatoes; heat in oven. Cook kraut with wieners on top of stove. Prepare radishes (ours were fresh out of the garden) and celery. If desired, butter several slices of rye bread; put back together; wrap in foil; heat in oven last few minutes.

Recipes:

Tomato Sauerkraut (4 servings)

1/2 cup sliced onions
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
4 cups drained canned sauerkraut
1 bay leaf (omitted)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. honey

Cook onions in butter until tender. Add flour; cook until lightly browned. Add rest of ingredients except honey. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf; stir in honey.

Hurry-Up Apple "Pie" (4 servings)

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup packaged pie-crust mix (I used Bisquick)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 No. 303 can applesauce (2 cups)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Light cream or ice cream (omitted)

Start heating oven to 375. Grease 8" pie plate. Combine sugar, piecrust mix, cinnamon, and nutmeg until crumbly. In pie plate, place applesauce; sprinkle with lemon juice; spread with crumbly mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tender.
Serve warm, with cream.

3 comments:

Packrat said...

You must add tomatoes to that sauerkraut recipe. Hint: leave out the bay and tomatoes. Instead, cut up an apple, and add it to the sauerkraut. The apple cuts the acidity.

The rest of the meal sounds delish.

Packrat said...

PS: Congrats on the weight loss!

Roxanne said...

Mmmmm. Apple sounds like it would balance out the tartness. I've cooked apples and cabbage together for that reason--never thought to use it with the sauerkraut!

My son and husband like "acidic." I'm the lone holdout on this one!